Thread: ALL about IDIOM

http://idgs.in/365769

Default ALL about IDIOM

if i made mistake because used indonesian, i'm verry sorry uncle momod and mimin, but i think it is OK if I use the indonesian as a explanation.

kalau sendainya awak salah karena memakai bahasa indonesia, minta maaf dah pada om momod atau om mimin, tapi setelah awak pikir, tidak apa-apa memakai bahasa indonesia sebagai keterangan,

salah satu kesulitan orang-orang dalam berbahasa inggris adalah bagaimana memahami ungkapan-ungkapan dalam bahasa inggris, seperti IDIOM.

Idiom is the incorporation of few words, two or more, and generate new meanings that are very different from the original meaning.

Idiom adalah penggabungan beberapa kata, dua atau lebih, dan menghasilkan arti baru yang sangat jauh berbeda dengan arti awalnya.

examples.
    under = bawah
    stand = berdiri

IDIOMnya Understand = Mengerti

lets find another IDIOMS..

2. Hot Ad

home = rumah
    sick = sakit
    homesick = rindu kampung halaman, bukan rumah sakit loh!!

get up = bangun, bukan mendapat naik.
    give up = menyerah
    go on = terus
    go ahead pergi duluan

Lol, those examples are not idioms, they are simply just words. They should not be a difficulty to learn English, unless you are a complete newbie to the English language.
    Sorry, but it has never crossed my mind that understand = bawah berdiri or homesick = rumah sakit. We can't even call those literal translations, because you split a word to two. I'd say, those are nonsense, extreme,made-up literal translations. It's not even an opaque idiom.

The real idiom, as you said before, is a figurative expression, and is the incorporation of few words, two or more, and generate new meanings that are very different from the original meaning. However, it's not combining two or more words into one word, but into another completely different meaning (compared to its literal meaning counterpart)

For example:
    Spill the beans (reveal the truth!)
    Hit the bull's eye or just bull's eye (guessed something right)

Quote Originally Posted by CaLLizeR View Post
    Lol, those examples are not idioms, they are simply just words. They should not be a difficulty to learn English, unless you are a complete newbie to the English language.
    Sorry, but it has never crossed my mind that understand = bawah berdiri or homesick = rumah sakit. We can't even call those literal translations, because you split a word to two. I'd say, those are nonsense, extreme,made-up literal translations. It's not even an opaque idiom.

The real idiom, as you said before, is a figurative expression, and is the incorporation of few words, two or more, and generate new meanings that are very different from the original meaning. However, it's not combining two or more words into one word, but into another completely different meaning (compared to its literal meaning counterpart)

For example:
    Lol agreed. The previous 2 posts don't reflect any idioms at all, this is the one that's correct..

Another example of idiom is keep an eye, which is to look after something..

"Hey, please keep an eye on my house while I'm away", this means that to request someone to look after your house when you're away..

It's actually not the literal meaning which makes them idioms, feel free to add more..

Quote Originally Posted by CaLLizeR View Post

For example:

LOL , thats what excatly idiom is. the first and the second post really funny LOL

I'll add other idioms here

"Get life" = maybe they're referring to express their anger somehow, and it seems the meaning's the same with "Get serious"

Sorry i can't find another one T_T"

i'll try to add more idioms :

'kickin the bucket', and 'sleepin with the fishes' - means that the person who did it was "dead", CMIIW

what about LMAO
    laughing my ass off... I dont get this words.. >,<

I'll add some other

"That's not my cup of tea"

Maybe the meaning is : "That have no relation of me" or "That is not my business"

CMIIW!

look after?
    is this an idiom?

what is the meaning of LMAO and CMIIW in indonesia?
    what does CMIIW stands for?

May I join ?
    here I wanna share some of idioms I know

a piece of cake = easy thing to do.
    New kids on the block = means person who has recently joined a company, organization, team, etc, and does not know how things work yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jkt-bad_day View Post
    what is the meaning of LMAO and CMIIW in indonesia?
    what does CMIIW stands for?
    CMIIW is Comment Me If I'm Wrong, I guess

and i think lmao and cmiiw isn't one of idiom >.<