Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
http://idgs.in/38793

i want to become good in english !!! because i'm bad in english
    i want to learn english verymuch because if i can speak english very well i dapat bule !! tq

2. Hot Ad

totally agree with TS
    the best way to improve our language skill is "practise"

Quote Originally Posted by iD|Virtuoso View Post
    Hi there,

I'm here to write a post (more of a critique actually) regarding Indonesians capability of speaking and writing in English.

See, the majority of Indonesians cannot speak/write English well, and what do they do? They still do it, just to show off. One time I encountered a signature of an Indonesian member that says:

What kind of English is that? No offense, but if someone abroad sees that kind of English implied in our signatures, or posts, or writings, won't you be embarrassed, that our very people writes English as bad as that?

No offense though, because I am writing this to encourage all you Indonesians to simply triple-check your grammar when writing/speaking/listening/reading (in) English. And if unsure, please do study some English. The language is the world's #1 International language, how can Indonesia be a developed nation if its people can't even speak English correctly?

I understand some of you write English on an effort to be better even though your grammar (or spelling, or placing) is wrong. That's perfectly okay, keep it up for it will improve your English, but please do check your grammar, triple-check if needed. The fastest, most efficient way to be able to learn English is to use it in your daily life. If you never use a language you learned in your daily life, you will eventually forget it. This is what happened to me, as I used to learn Javanese and now.. I cannot understand any of it, because I'm not using it anymore.

I'm sorry if my writing offended anyone, that is all I want to say. Best of luck to you who take this seriously.
    Harharhar....
    I totally have the same opinion as you Virtuoso....
    But meh.... Can't blame them entirely....
    Oh, but you can blame it on Gramedia though, they don't have an english novel corner ffs!!!!!

Some people think, that having understandable english is enough to post on the forums. I know, that's a given.

But I really feel that the mentality to keep improving his/her english skills is very much necessary, just like the mentality to improve this country....

I think many people that use a wrong grammar didn't want to show off.........
    I think, they just didn't know the right word, or whatever.
    So they use it without even knowing that the words they're use is wrong

Sorry for my bad English though ^^

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by kembalian View Post
    Harharhar....
    I totally have the same opinion as you Virtuoso....
    But meh.... Can't blame them entirely....
    Oh, but you can blame it on Gramedia though, they don't have an english novel corner ffs!!!!!

Some people think, that having understandable english is enough to post on the forums. I know, that's a given.

But I really feel that the mentality to keep improving his/her english skills is very much necessary, just like the mentality to improve this country....
    I see you are suck at searching books.

Arrogance is not welcomed here, people.

Quote Originally Posted by CaLLizeR View Post

Arrogance is not welcomed here, people.
    Really, arrogance?
    True, I might suck at searching books.
    But saying that I suck at searching books would make you arrogant too actually..
    The statement was more of a joke actually, and I don't see why you would flame me
    unless you love Gramedia THAT much.

dycedarg

I found that people from other country such as Singapore or India is better at speak or write in English. Idon't know why that happen. Is that just merely because we are too proud with our language? or we are lack of english education in our education system

@Virtu,
    It's not that easy. Takes time and hard work.

@dycedarg,
    Honestly, many well educated Indonesians are very good at English! Both grammar and pronunciation.

For me, language is JUST a media to communicate each other. Unless you give huge influence to many people by your words, you don't have to worry too much. If you have huge power, what you said might be caught differently by other people and brings misunderstanding. Beware..
    While in daily basis, if you spell wrong sentences, you just make someone smile.. Peace!! Nice!!

EUReKA girl

Hm... Okay...

I think...
    Double or triple checking every post we wrote in English is pretty time consuming.
    And to some of us, time is a luxury.

The last time I was in Singapore, I went into a small restaurant, it was near to an MRT station.
    I tried to pour a drink from a jug, with an effort, because the jug was full and heavy.
    The waiter came to my table and he asked, "Can?"

Now that's not grammatically correct, right? But in Singlish it's acceptable.
    I guess in everyday life (i.e. a forum like this), all is acceptable as long as we get the message.

I believe that true form of grammar is only utilized in formal situations.

Well this is just my opinion...

Btw, have you guys ever checked engrish.com?

Well, there are people who don't actually know how to use English properly, but still use it, probably because it looks cool - but no, if you're doing it wrong, it will make you look like an *****. Seriously. A common mistake Indonesian people make is the use of the word "worthed". Hello guys, it's not even a word! I even debated with a guy from another forum on it. And these people annoy me somehow - not a big deal though. While in the internet, people use wrong grammar/spelling just for fun. Examples:

- I can haz cheeseburger (a popular saying from 4chan.com)
    - I is kewl
    - etc.

If you go to international forums, you'll know :P

-------------

@Callizer: You somehow contradicted yourself.

Sorry, but your thread fails.
    To criticize anybody you have to make sure that you can do what you criticize about perfectly. And I found out that you don't.
    And then you said this:

Trust me, that was grammatically incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by iD|Virtuoso View Post
    The language is the world's #1 International language, how can Indonesia be a developed nation if its people can't even speak English correctly?
    and how the heck does japan became a developed nation even though 90% of their people can't speak english? (makanenak's post clearly is a good example)

seriously, just because your english is good, don't start babbling around like "we should improve our english" or "we should always take a look at our sentence, does it grammtically correct?"

it's true that we need everything correctly (yes, english too), but your post in the first page is more like a selfish opinion rather than pointers to improve other people's skills

and don't worry, i'm taking this as a serious matter okay?

@Volcanflame
    two nouns over there? "searching" and "books", it will be better if it is "searching for books" isn't it? (sorry my grammar is not very good either)

it's kind of funny though, someone once said to me: "you know, if we talk with Singaporeans, we will absolutely detect many grammatically errors in their sentences; but they act like we are the one that is weird, as if Singlish is the correct form of English".

@fire_god,
    well, it's complicated. Japanese are very proud of themselves cause they have the power to develop and take care of their own country. they refuse to talk in English somehow.. (I visited Japan once long time ago their English was very poor). or maybe it is difficult for them to pronounce in English.

but as you see, nowadays their people are also going abroad and have to communicate with other people from foreign nations. what language will they use? pardon me, but not in Japanese, too difficult. not a lot of people, other than the Japanese, learn Japanese.
    ya, even if you learn mandarin in China, so many people from different countries will translate the sentences into English for understanding.

we can say what we want about how important a language is, and how English is not the most important. but the fact is English can unite us and foreign people, cause we all learn it at school; while we are not familiar with mandarin, japanese, german language.
    but, yeah, you don't need any other languages if you are not going to deal with foreigners.

EUReKA girl

Maybe that's why some schools are now implementing Mandarin language into their curriculum.
    We've just been using English because the UK and USA were the economic superpowers during the 20th century.
    But if it's about the numbers, Mandarin certainly has the highest number of speakers at 1 billion people.

The schools are widening their perspective because they know English is not the only important international language.
    But English is actually what we are used to, being in Indonesia, because that was the only foreignlanguage in which the schools taught us back in those years.

And really, I think we are more used to using the US English, not the International English (UK).
    I remember that my school taught me the US English, not the UK one, despite the latter being the international English language.

in my point of view, English ain't that good. Let's take a look in european countries. Countries that used english as their main language are: England, Ireland, North Ireland, Scottland and Norway. What about the other countries? Not all of them use english. In America? Just U.S.A and Canada. So why this language can be the international language? From what I've been analyzed, maybe it's because lots of english people are a traveler. So that the other countries were 'forced' to use english to understand what they are saying. And then the entire world speaks english because of it.

I found that people from other country such as Singapore or India is better at speak or write in English. I don't know why that happen. Is that just merely because we are too proud with our language? or we are lack of English education in our education system
    Both Singapore and India are using English as their primary language for their business and education. So their young generation now are capable of speaking English very well, and only some of their older generation can only speak their own mother tongue (Mandarin, Malay, and Tamil in the case of Singapore. However despite their advantage of their fluency in English, they are also facing another problem of declining number of native mother tongue language speakers. Hence it is a trade-off for them.

Whereas for Indonesia, lack of PROPER English education could be one root cause of the problem. What I have learnt (learned for American English) during my secondary days in Indonesia is just basic translation from Indonesia to English, and very few of sentence structure practice. Then when I moved to Singapore to complete my education I found it was difficult to write essays. I made many grammatical mistakes that oftentimes my teachers could not understand what I was trying to say.

Speaking about the importance of English, I find it very useful at least to myself (I live in Singapore, and most of the games I played are in English). Let's be general then. English is one of the hardest language to learn, but despite that it is the international language nonetheless as the internet and the international community are using it since WW2. Every language has their age IIRC, with many education literature were written in German during the 17th-18th century. French was the language of diplomacy that used in the United Nations. Now English is the language of business because trade and business were dominated by England and United States in the early 20th century.

Well, ultimately we are all here to improve our English, aren't we? If you are all do not mind let me correct and explain about the mistakes in your posts ^^

lots of english people are a traveler
    Lots of the Britons are travelers.
    - People who live in England are not "English people", they are Britons.
    - Since Britons are plural, they are not a traveler

Hmm this one is debatable. But IMO the sentence is fine. Why? "Searching books" is one noun. "You are suck" is rarely used however. Usually I would say "I see that you suck at searching books." just like "My English sucks" (don't ever say "my English suck", that will just prove that your English sucks)

we are more used to using the US English,
    we are more used to American English. There is no need for double uses.

Uh oh, and remember not to turn this thread into a flame war ^^
    Peace be with you.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast