Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
http://idgs.in/38793

IMO juts 1 thing that make lots of Indonesian have a lack on English...

when they still kids, they doesn't know the benefits of studying English in the future...

they just think : English? important? we are Indonesian, we shouldn't learn English, just a waste of time...

but they didn't think... in the future... English is very important... why? coz English is international language...

well... that's my opinion...

CMIIW, thanks...

2. Hot Ad
    EUReKA girl

Quote Originally Posted by Yagiza View Post
    we are more used to American English. There is no need for double uses.
    Thank you for telling me, Mister Yagiza

You're welcome
    Remember, to make mistakes is human ^^
    So it is better to make mistakes here and not during your English exam >.<

@shini
    wew... i didn't even say that we don't need english... it's just that the first post is..... well whatever

okay back to topic, how good indonesian english right now? i think it is so-so

EUReKA girl

Quote Originally Posted by Yagiza View Post
    You're welcome
    Remember, to make mistakes is human ^^
    So it is better to make mistakes here and not during your English exam >.<
    Yeah ^^
    I hope people can point the grammatical errors so we can learn from them.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by fire_god View Post
    okay back to topic, how good indonesian english right now? i think it is so-so
    Hmm
    In these last few years, I've seen a number of Indonesian parents who teach English to their kids by constantly initiating English conversations.
    So I think English has a bright future here, although it will come slowly.

Okay I am agree with you. However the problem is how well do the Indonesian parents know English? If they weren't capable of speaking English fluently in the first place then the only way their children can learn English is from formal education or English tuition. Which IMO this is the case for most Indonesian who live in the cities. For the people who live in the countryside is another story... well for them to be able to study Bahasa Indonesia is good enough.

By the way, I'm glad that our incumbent president can speak English ^^ so he is a good representation of our country's improving image in the international world.

EUReKA girl

Well I guess TV, video games, movies are good sources for English
    Most of my friends learned English from these items.

So maybe more parents should invest in cable TVs, buy DVDs, consoles, and let their kids play all day long ^^ Yay

Oh and I agree about the President...
    A President must have a good knowledge about international languages.
    After all, he represents his country and deals with other countries.

Stop critiquing others, that could lead to flame wars. People who try to outsmart others are just disgusting.

I left this thread long time ago, and visited this again accidentally while checking hangman thread, I see the discussion didn't stop and would like to throw out my opinions... Few interesting points worth mentioning,

1. Indonesians' English is really terrible.

While this is still debatable, I am inclined to say the same thing. Try to go to mall, and ask few shopkeepers using English, I can guarantee most of them can't even reply.

Here, as a comparison.

During my trip at Hongkong, I could easily talk with shopkeepers there, be it when I made a bid, or asked about their products/services. I only used English, as I can't speak Chinese/Mandarin/Hokkien even though I am Chinese descendant (Hongkong citizens are Chinese based speakers) but I can say, our conversations went fairly well -- we could understand each others pretty much easily, only their accent and mine didn't agree.

Let's compare it on a different aspect, students. Can we say Indonesians' students aren't English-capable as well? Again, I think they don't.

Say, on a basic level, from middle school until high school, only few handful students who have already been taught English since their childhood OR one or both of their parents are English-speaking that are able perform English conversation particularly well. We can't learn that fast when we're older, admit it.

Even university students, majority of them, have a very poor English knowledge.

So my final thought on this, yes.. I believe Indonesians' English is on a very bad level, needs to be improved A LOT.

2. English is not important.

Who the bloody hell dare to say that? Basically, World's languages are limited to two, English and Mandarin. Those who can speak one or (better!) both of them will succeed more easily when compared to those who can't speak either.

You go to Singapore, if you can't speak English or Chinese, you are dead (not literally, mind you.).

You go to Australia, if you can't speak English, again, you're dead.

And most importantly, when you're trying to get a job. Without English capability, one can't compete much. You need at least, a passive English to have a better position of bargaining when applying.

That's in a real life world. How about in 'not real world' as known as INTERNET.

Having been a regular in several foreign forums for years, I know the importance of English. Internet was, is, and will always be a great source of information. Approximately 70% Internet contents are written in English, not even Chinese language comes close, let alone Indonesia language....

A very simple example, what's the main language of the top ten websites in the whole world?

One answer: English.

Go here for further information: http://alexa.com/topsites

I am really interested to see how far people who say English isn't important can go.

You go to Singapore, if you can't speak English or Chinese, you are dead (not literally, mind you.).
    Haha I second this. Despite the similarity of Malay Language and Bahasa Indonesia, they are both rarely used in Singapore. (Trivia: Singapore national song is sung in Malay Language, but many Singaporeans can't pronounce the words properly )

anw good post Black Zero. I could not agree with you more.

two nouns over there? "searching" and "books", it will be better if it is "searching for books" isn't it? (sorry my grammar is not very good either)
    Er, no. It should be "You suck at searching books." No one says "You are suck at searching books".

Yea, I agree with Black Zero.

@Eurekagirl : Once I heard, that when there is a country conference, each of the "agreed-to" country's leader meet each other. to discuss something. whether it's about policy, or trading negotiation. There, their leader speak their own native language. Then, steps in the translator that speaks english so that other leader understands. The reply, of course, is also in their own native language. And again after that, translated by the translator. So, each leader has a native-language-to-English translator.

Nowadays I don't pay attention to these things. So, maybe they changed it waaaay ago, or recently.
    I dunno. But, as far as I know, the system I explained above DO exist. =D

Quote Originally Posted by Volcanflame View Post
    Er, no. It should be "You suck at searching books." No one says "You are suck at searching books".
    Yeah.. the reason is just because a verb after preposition need to be added ING. and i think, the word "searching" is not a noun, but it's more likely to be a verb, and a book is noun. Correct me if I'm wrong

Is it not because the correct one is "You are sucked at searching books."?
    CMIIW...

Quote Originally Posted by Monox D. I-Fly View Post
    Is it not because the correct one is "You are sucked at searching books."?
    CMIIW...
    The correct one is " You suck at searching books". = "kamu payah kalo nyari buku"

But the TS got a point. Most Indonesians ARE bad with english, and I can prove it. Broken english are everyhere, from brochures, networking sites, street signs, they're just everywhere! I dunno what they're trying to do, perhaps they want to look cool by using english? or should I say "Engrish"?. Seriously, using english when you DON'T KNOW ENGLISH is quite something that'll make you into a laughingstock.

there are few people who can speak english, while there are so much people who THINK they can speak english. Know the difference, it can save your live.

“The planet is fine. The people are fucked.”
    ― George Carlin ―

at least we know how to speak english not engRish

"You gotta be you, only one in the world" - Hideki Kamiya
    -Magnified Universe-
    Quote Originally Posted by LunarCrusade View Post
    senjata gw emang ciuman maut ala sinar rembulan gitu sih

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast