Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
http://idgs.in/38793

Default Indonesians' English

Hi there,

I'm here to write a post (more of a critique actually) regarding Indonesians capability of speaking and writing in English.

See, the majority of Indonesians cannot speak/write English well, and what do they do? They still do it, just to show off. One time I encountered a signature of an Indonesian member that says:
    We is different.. Me is my.. You is you
    What kind of English is that? No offense, but if someone abroad sees that kind of English implied in our signatures, or posts, or writings, won't you be embarrassed, that our very people writes English as bad as that?

No offense though, because I am writing this to encourage all you Indonesians to simply triple-check your grammar when writing/speaking/listening/reading (in) English. And if unsure, please do study some English. The language is the world's #1 International language, how can Indonesia be a developed nation if its people can't even speak English correctly?

I understand some of you write English on an effort to be better even though your grammar (or spelling, or placing) is wrong. That's perfectly okay, keep it up for it will improve your English, but please do check your grammar, triple-check if needed. The fastest, most efficient way to be able to learn English is to use it in your daily life. If you never use a language you learned in your daily life, you will eventually forget it. This is what happened to me, as I used to learn Javanese and now.. I cannot understand any of it, because I'm not using it anymore.

I'm sorry if my writing offended anyone, that is all I want to say. Best of luck to you who take this seriously.

2. Hot Ad

Hmm, good post, but.. I think this sub forum isn't for suggesting place.
    I listen to music, I appreciate it, and I make it..

It's for discussion.. and that's exactly what I want.. please comment on it.

Quote Originally Posted by iD|Virtuoso View Post
    It's for discussion.. and that's exactly what I want.. please comment on it.
    yeah...agree with you vir...it's a fact actually...most indonesian can't speak/write english properly, like me...LOL....i think that's a good idea to discuss it here, since this sub-forum is for general discussion....like me...still studying english untill now, ::hahaha::
    btw, how's indo-dota.net progress? ....oopss, sorry OOT....::spam::
    Last edited by obi-wan; 19-10-07 at 21:16.

What do exactly you want us to discuss here?

On the top of my head, i got

"Indonesia is filled with arrogant ppls."
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Are you referring to me? If so, then I'm really sorry if I offend anyone. I understand I was n00b myself back then.

Discuss about that fact. Do you think it's true? What about yourself? Do you think if people start to take this fact into consideration, Indonesia can become a more developed nation?

I am not referring to you.

Crap...

What i meant is...

Whatever you do to improve this nations' ability in English, they (most of them) just won't listen. Either they think they are the best or, they think they won't need them.
    Last edited by VileTooth; 20-10-07 at 15:03.
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

But I think, even when they think they are the best, they still need to know English, thought not all persons are perfect...

What if they stump on a problem and the problem should be faced with English (ex: fight woth foreign people), they gonna get problem...

Those are my oppinion, no flame, no offense....

so u suggesting id's people to learn english?? while there are many who even never attended school...
    also id's got the best pronunciation of all asian..that's good enough i think..
    take what's necessary...

Surabaya |-*Chieftain*-| † Kingdom of New Anarchyst Gankers Survivor †

Well, I think it's normal for just about anyone to show the skills they have... (even though some people are very bad at it). Who knows? Maybe they didn't mean to show off...

Let's look at it from this point of view...

1. Most Indonesians are not good at english, but even so, they try to speak or write in english to show what they have in mind.

2. Most Indonesians are not good at english, so they don't try to speak or write in english.

Do you agree that the first one's a better choice? If we don't try to implement english bit by bit, how would we even be good at it? Just like one of the statement somewhere up there, stating that many Indonesians do not get proper education like we do, don't you think something that might seem useless, like making signatures in english, be a good way to improve somehow? Not all people, especially Indonesians, can afford the time and money to learn english, you know...

If you think that it's incorrect, then tell them what the correct one's supposed to be. If they don't wanna listen to you, fine, it's their problem then... you've done what you should've done. In my opinion, the best way to learn english (other than to use it in daily life) is to know what your mistake is, admit it, and if possible, know what the right one should be.

These are just my opinions, of course. No harm intended, dude...

India peoples using two language right? English n India

I belive everyone should know english saves me alot of time to find a translator.

Quote Originally Posted by Robot-Dude View Post
    I belive everyone should know english saves me alot of time to find a translator.
    yeah, google should add indonesian, a language with 250 million speaker

Quote Originally Posted by MimiHitam View Post
    yeah, google should add indonesian, a language with 250 million speaker
    Most of Indonesians who ACTUALLY knows what Google is capable of can speak/type English quite properly.

250 million speaker? Nope dude, some of them still use their native lang such as Javanese, Sundanese, and Chinese.

but all of them can speak indonesian, only some minorities

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast