Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
http://idgs.in/58832
  1. #1
    RiXtopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Western Jakarta Former ID: ∙ ∙ ∙ RiX777
    Posts
    1,737
    Points
    7,204.21
    Thanks: 219 / 769 / 291

    Default Examples of Basic Grammar Mistakes

    Example #1

    When you want to say: Saya telah kembali
    It should be:
    I have come back (verbIII: come )
    or at least, I am back (adj: back)

    Popular mistakes:
    I am come back, we do not need "come" here, as it will make the sentence sounds weird.

    Remember, a tobe (is, am, are, was, etc) should always be followed by a noun, adjective, or a verb+ing.


    Example #2

    When you want to say: Saya akan ban ID kamu
    It should be:
    I am going to ban your ID
    I am banning your ID
    I will ban your ID

    Popular mistakes:
    I will banned your ID (well, this is much more happening in Indonesian language, I often see these kind of messages: "Gw banned ne" or "Kok ID gw di banned?", not a real deal though, it's not in English... ^^ )

    Explaination:
    Banned, as most of you have known... is a verb II which is used to form a passive voice or past events.

    It could used to form a sentence like:
    Your ID will be banned!
    Your ID was/is banned by the OP!
    TIDAK MENERIMA BARCEN

  2. Hot Ad
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to RiXtopia For This Useful Post:
  4. #2
    yagami_light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ...Didalam Setiap Hati yg memiliki Cinta...
    Posts
    4,145
    Points
    3,482.40
    Thanks: 193 / 124 / 77

    Default

    Can u explain more about this?

    I can't understand about it...

    I want to know much about Speaking English,many more....





    Coz my English languange is very Bad...

    :sweat:



    Practice it to me...


    :thanks:
    Cinta dengan Indogamers? Mau punya Signature sampai 8 Baris? Mau ngedit Banner? Jadi Donatur aja !
    Apa sih kelebihan Status DONATUR itu? klik disini

    [ Event ] Make Your Own Story of Indogamers! Berhadiah Point Vbookie + Uang Tunai

    Quote Originally Posted by Orang Ganteng View Post
    Kamu ga tau ya, kalau Indogamers Banget ini lebih Supranatural daripada Forum Supranatural?

  5. #3
    alexist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NN
    Posts
    3,179
    Points
    2,164.94
    Thanks: 189 / 18 / 18

    Default

    @yagami
    how about "coz my english language is very bad...... "
    english = kind of language not a country or place.

  6. #4
    yagami_light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ...Didalam Setiap Hati yg memiliki Cinta...
    Posts
    4,145
    Points
    3,482.40
    Thanks: 193 / 124 / 77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alexist View Post
    @yagami
    how about "coz my english language is very bad...... "
    english = kind of language not a country or place.
    Thanks...


    Umh...so,what the correct word?




    is that "my english is very bad"? Without "languange"? Or..??




    Can u tell me what the true sentences?


    :thanks:
    Cinta dengan Indogamers? Mau punya Signature sampai 8 Baris? Mau ngedit Banner? Jadi Donatur aja !
    Apa sih kelebihan Status DONATUR itu? klik disini

    [ Event ] Make Your Own Story of Indogamers! Berhadiah Point Vbookie + Uang Tunai

    Quote Originally Posted by Orang Ganteng View Post
    Kamu ga tau ya, kalau Indogamers Banget ini lebih Supranatural daripada Forum Supranatural?

  7. #5
    RiXtopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Western Jakarta Former ID: ∙ ∙ ∙ RiX777
    Posts
    1,737
    Points
    7,204.21
    Thanks: 219 / 769 / 291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yagami_light View Post
    Thanks...


    Umh...so,what the correct word?




    is that "my english is very bad"? Without "languange"? Or..??




    Can u tell me what the true sentences?


    :thanks:
    Yep, it should be "My English is very bad"

    ***

    Also, what the correct word? and what the true sentences?

    should be written as:

    What is the correct word? and What are the true sentences?
    TIDAK MENERIMA BARCEN

  8. #6
    doktergadungan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Surabaya
    Posts
    452
    Points
    575.80
    Thanks: 0 / 0 / 0

    Default

    To be honest, if it's just an "is" or "are" or whether "have or has", it s not usually noticed in speaking...even though it sounds kind of weird,not many people notice...

    However,in writing, it s shown clearly...

    To write/speak English correctly, try to hone your senses in hearing and understanding English words...

    Some people have their "Sense"s tell them whether an English sentence is correct or not..

    try watching DvDs without subtitles, or try to read more english books...you gonna get better...

  9. #7
    RiXtopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Western Jakarta Former ID: ∙ ∙ ∙ RiX777
    Posts
    1,737
    Points
    7,204.21
    Thanks: 219 / 769 / 291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doktergadungan View Post
    To be honest, if it's just an "is" or "are" or whether "have or has", it s not usually noticed in speaking...even though it sounds kind of weird,not many people notice...
    Indonesian and other foreign countymen may not notice, but a native English speaker will surely notice that.

    We live in Indonesia at the moment and we could say that not many people will notice those small mistakes - and that is true. (I do spot those mistakes from other people though, and ironically - I often do those mistakes also without even realizing it :sarcastic_hand
    Last edited by RiXtopia; 09-04-08 at 15:24.
    TIDAK MENERIMA BARCEN

  10. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bogor
    Posts
    20
    Points
    38.00
    Thanks: 0 / 0 / 0

    Default

    what the,.,.you should mastered a thing before you make a thing

    mark my word

  11. #9
    -[nVc]-Kairxa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Negai no kara basho ni
    Posts
    2,215
    Points
    2,080.81
    Thanks: 101 / 91 / 48

    Default

    no man... you're wrong... you should make the thing first to master it...

    CMIIW ^^
    Gw merasa Civilization V adalah game yang bodoh.

  12. #10
    hero4dohl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    pontianak
    Posts
    491
    Points
    670.70
    Thanks: 5 / 2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RiX777 View Post
    Example #1

    When you want to say: Saya telah kembali
    It should be:
    I have come back (verbIII: come )
    or at least, I am back (adj: back)

    Popular mistakes:
    I am come back, we do not need "come" here, as it will make the sentence sounds weird.

    Remember, a tobe (is, am, are, was, etc) should always be followed by a noun, adjective, or a verb+ing.


    Example #2

    When you want to say: Saya akan ban ID kamu
    It should be:
    I am going to ban your ID
    I am banning your ID
    I will ban your ID

    Popular mistakes:
    I will banned your ID (well, this is much more happening in Indonesian language, I often see these kind of messages: "Gw banned ne" or "Kok ID gw di banned?", not a real deal though, it's not in English... ^^ )

    Explaination:
    Banned, as most of you have known... is a verb II which is used to form a passive voice or past events.

    It could used to form a sentence like:
    Your ID will be banned!
    Your ID was/is banned by the OP!
    actually, the most mistake people made was like this...

    "gw band id lo" band?? band of singer?? LOL

  13. #11
    RiXtopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Western Jakarta Former ID: ∙ ∙ ∙ RiX777
    Posts
    1,737
    Points
    7,204.21
    Thanks: 219 / 769 / 291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hero4dohl View Post
    actually, the most mistake people made was like this...

    "gw band id lo" band?? band of singer?? LOL
    Yep, that is also one of the most popular mistake. The word "band" doesn't even have a verb form. :tense:

    ban (verb):
    prohibit especially by legal means or social pressure
    ban (noun):
    any decree that prohibits something
    band (noun):
    an unofficial association of people or groups
    TIDAK MENERIMA BARCEN

  14. #12
    AzerArcacia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Where am I?
    Posts
    652
    Points
    845.60
    Thanks: 18 / 12 / 12

    Default Well...

    Basically, try to understand the context of the sentence/ paragraph instead of trying to translate our own language into English?

    Post Script: Correct me if I have made mistakes.

  15. #13
    RiXtopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Western Jakarta Former ID: ∙ ∙ ∙ RiX777
    Posts
    1,737
    Points
    7,204.21
    Thanks: 219 / 769 / 291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AzerArcacia View Post
    Basically, try to understand the context of the sentence/ paragraph instead of trying to translate our own language into English?

    Post Script: Correct me if I have made mistakes.
    Try to understand the context of the sentence?

    Well...? could you give us an example please?
    TIDAK MENERIMA BARCEN

  16. #14
    AzerArcacia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Where am I?
    Posts
    652
    Points
    845.60
    Thanks: 18 / 12 / 12

    Default

    It means that the context of the sentence involves the grammar itself.

    This is just my own belief, and I always warn myself not to translate the words one by one.

    For example...

    sorry could I list your example for this problem? (please I hope you will):sob:

    "I am come back, we do not need "come" here, as it will make the sentence sounds weird."

    (my humblest apology:sob:, I don't know how to quote this line)

    Well, in this case, I agree with you that the sentence sounds weird due to the incorrect order of word-placements. As we should use

    "I have come back"

    (ouch, I've done it twice!:sob: Sorry, I can't quote the line)

    the simple present one should be replaced with the present perfect as we infer this sentence in our language as "Saya telah kembali" not "Saya adalah kembali"

    Post Script : Correct me if I wrong, sorry I don't know how to quote them:sob:

  17. #15
    RiXtopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Western Jakarta Former ID: ∙ ∙ ∙ RiX777
    Posts
    1,737
    Points
    7,204.21
    Thanks: 219 / 769 / 291

    Default

    Hmm, so my first post is considered as one of the example.

    Then my respond starting from this point for you - will use "I" instead of "we".

    Please note that I do not say that we have to translate the words one by one. It is as you have said, we should understand the context of the sentence itself as a whole.

    Your post (#12) was posted after my comment for hero4dohl's post #10. Then I will assume that you had different view from me on that matter (which is about ban and band).

    If my assumption above is incorrect, your statements in post #12 and #14 are accepted, but not for my comment to hero4dohl's post #10. As I do completely agree with your opinion which is not to translate words one by one.

    If my assumption above is true, your statements in post #12 and #14 are not relevant to my comment. As I was talking about vocabulary problems in post #11, NOT the grammar mistake you have taken from my first post as your main example. See the differences?
    Your example - is an example of grammatical problems.
    What I want you give me - is an example of vocabulary translation.
    TIDAK MENERIMA BARCEN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •