Thread: World News

http://idgs.in/14382

Default World News

Here you may post what is going on in this world, global warming, forest fire, kitty stuck above a tree, whatever you want, we can discuss or have a debate here. Just make sure the news isn't outdated by 2 months or so.

As a starter i got this from DP news.

Link-Yahoo!

NEW YORK - We now have a title for Book VII: "
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows."

But if you want to find out for yourself, visit
    J.K. Rowling's Web site, jkrowling.com, and play a little game of hangman.

Rowling's U.S. publisher, Scholastic, Inc., released a brief statement Thursday announcing the name of the world's most anticipated children's book, the finale to her phenomenally popular fantasy series.

No publication date or other details were offered. Rowling is still working on the book, she wrote on her Web site in an entry posted early Thursday.

"I'm now writing scenes that have been planned, in some cases, for a dozen years or even more," she wrote. "I don't think anyone who has not been in a similar situation can possibly know how this feels: I am alternately elated and overwrought. I both want, and don't want, to finish this book (don't worry, I will.)"

Meanwhile, she set up a little game for her Potter fans.

If you go to her home page, click on the eraser and you will be taken to a room — you'll see a window, a door and a mirror.

In the mirror, you'll see a hallway. Click on the farthest doorknob and look for the Christmas tree. They click on the center of the door next to the mirror and a reef appears. Then click on the top of the mirror and you'll see a garland.

Look for a cobweb next to the door. Click on it, and it will disappear. Now, look at the chimes in the window. Click on the second chime to the right, and hold it down. The chime will turn into the key, which opens the door. Click on the wrapped gift behind the door, then click on it again and figure out the title yourself by playing a game of hangman.

Or you can just take Scholastic's word for it.

How'd you think about the new title? Well i ain't a Potter's fan so much so care to tell me what title it is before this news come up?
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

2. Hot Ad

WOOOOOW coool!!! anyone know when will it be published. I just can't wait to read the next book. Normally I don't really like novels you know... but Harry Potter is a different thing. Vile Tooth you should try to read it at least once !
    and About the title its still reeks of Mystery as before for example the sixth book with the title : Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince and it makes me curious

Well, I think the new title is cool......

I wonder what will the story tell about.......
    To Find The Meaning Of Life Is My Ultimate Goal

Well, it is a silly reason why i don't like Harry Potter. It is simple, it won like 5 Awards for its Movie and doesn't give my favorite movie like Kill Bill for a chance to win.

Anyways, i watched the Goblet Of Fire and i think it ain't that bad, The spells looks cool, the storyline is pretty nice, and most important Hermione is one helluva hot chick.
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by VileTooth View Post
    Anyways, i watched the Goblet Of Fire and i think it ain't that bad, The spells looks cool, the storyline is pretty nice, and most important Hermione is one helluva hot chick.
    I've to agree with you with that one... She's really is one helluva hot chick
    ::

CHILDREN watched in horror as a Santa Claus collapsed and died as he handed out presents at a Christmas party.

Source

Andrew Robertson, 82, took ill as excited youngsters were being given their gifts.

He was taken to a side room, still dressed in a Father Christmas outfit, and attempts were made to revive him.

But when medics arrived, he was pronounced dead.

Mr Robertson, from Dundee, had played Santa for several years at the city’s Broughty Castle Bowling Club’s Christmas party, which is held for the grandchildren of members.

Ian Smart, the bowling club’s secretary, said: “Andy was a father figure in the club who never had a bad word to say about anyone.

“If you asked him to do anything for you, he would always say no problem’.

“One wee kid said "how are we going to get our presents next week if Father Christmas is ill?" - they didn’t understand what had happened.”

Mr Smart said Mr Robertson had played an active role in the bowling club.

“He was well-liked and will be sorely missed,” he said.

His brother Alister said he had complained about feeling hot shortly before he collapsed on Sunday afternoon.

He told The Courier newspaper: “The kids saw him getting taken away as if he was ill.

“They knew something was wrong with Santa Claus as he went away with the two guys, but they didn’t see anything further.

“It has been quite a shock for everybody but my view is that he was there thoroughly enjoying himself when he was struck down.”

Mr Robertson was a former director with a shipbuilding company.

-----------

A santa claus dies in front of childrens. As you see in the last paragraph, it was told that he was a former director with a shipbuilding company, which means he must have a lot of money from his earlier job. Instead sitting over his retirement money he decided to dress as father Christmas to spread the joy over the childrens. Ain't that a very nice thing to do?

What do you think about this? Write it down here.

How tragic. To think that someone who would give the children presents for christmast died before he could do it..........

"Santa" died in front of children... thats one hell of a disappointment for them thats for sure. but maybe nowadays children doesn't believe in Santa anymore but still Mr. Robertson is a man that we should respect because even he was a former director with a shipbuilding company, Instead of enjoying his retirement money he decided to dress as father Christmas to spread the joy over the children. The kind of man we must take as a lead.

Alive - the hibernating man
    Richard Kimber in Tokyo

Hiker survived 23 days without water

Pulse slowed and organs shut down

source

Mitsutaka Uchikoshi had two months of medical treatment (AFP/Getty Images)

A man who survived for more than three weeks lost and unconscious on a remote mountain is believed to have been saved after his body went into a form of hibernation.
    Emergency medical teams said that the 35-year-old hiker had survived without food or water after his organs shut down, his pulse slowed and his body temperature fell by a third. They believe that his metabolism all but ground to a halt as he lay on the mountainside, a response that saved him.

“He fell into a state similar to hibernation and many of his organs slowed, but his brain was protected,” Dr Shinichi Sato, head of the emergency unit that treated the man, said. “I believe that his brain capacity has recovered 100 per cent.”

The man was treated for severe hypothermia, multiple organ failure and blood loss caused by a fall, but was not expected to suffer lasting illness.

Mitsutaka Uchikoshi had enjoyed a barbecue with work colleagues in the popular hiking area of Mount Rokko, an 880m (2,887ft) peak near the port of Kobe in western Japan, when he decided against joining the others for the cable-car ride back, opting to walk down on his own.

After losing his way, he slipped, broke his pelvis and then lost consciousness. More than three weeks later he was discovered by a climber. He had almost no pulse and a body temperature of only 22C (72F).

Mr Uchikoshi, a government official from a nearby town, said that his last memory was of enjoying the view as he lay imobilised. “The sun was out, I was in a field, and I felt very comfortable,” he said. “I must have fallen asleep after that.”

Although the autumn nights were chilly, average temperatures hovered around 10C, low enough to cause hypothermia and, eventually, a state resembling hibernation in other mammals.

After almost two months of medical treatment, Mr Uchikoshi finally returned home on Tuesday. “I’m sorry for all the trouble I caused everyone,” he said. “I want to get better quickly and return to work.”

The story struck a chord in Japan, where picnics and barbecues in remote countryside are very popular. But the question now being debated among Japanese doctors is exactly how Mr Uchikoshi managed to survive. After almost a month in the cold, and with only half a bottle of barbecue sauce to keep him alive, hibernation is considered the most likely explanation.

During hibernation, activity in the body’s cells slows to a near standstill, greatly cutting the need for oxygen, and lowering energy consumption.

“This case is revolutionary, if the patient truly survived at such a low body temperature over such a long period of time,” Professor Hirohito Shiomi, a hibernation expert at Fukuyama University in Hiroshima, said. “Researchers would have to clarify whether Mr Uchikoshi’s body temperature dropped very quickly, or whether he started losing body heat much later, and was in fact dying when rescuers found him,” he said.

Scientists have long speculated that human hibernation is possible, with potential benefits that include enabling astronauts to undertake longer missions in space. It is also hoped that the hibernation process could be used in medicine to slow cell death when treating fatal conditions such as brain haemorrhaging.

In 2004 a German research team announced the discovery in Madagascar of lemurs that hibernate for many months of the year, in what they claimed was the first proof of hibernation in primates.

What do you think??
    Is'n it amazing that a man could survive for 23 days without water??
    Hibernation is a very long sleep for animals along winter to survive without foods and water. And it's only possible for animals.
    But a man did it? Very amazing huh?
    vile : you got the point
    Last edited by VileTooth; 26-12-06 at 16:44.