Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
http://idgs.in/38793

this is really a good topic to discuss

all we have to think and do now are about the solution
    i think we really should thank to indogamers to provide an english corner here
    cos it's really help people like me to improve my english

thx to virtuoso 4 the topic
    regard
    TRYING IS THE FIRST STEP TO FAIL
    SO DON'T TRYING IF YOU DON'T WANT TO FAIL

2. Hot Ad

Every language learners will have their strengths and weaknesses. Some Chinese speakers have trouble of saying "th" sound. Indian people have trouble with intonation. I think no matter what, we should encourage people to speak and refine the language. This should not mean they should be ashamed of themselves if they make errors. We all make errors, maybe the good idea would be let them know and if they dont want to correct it well you've done your bit. Make errors and correct it then you are improving. If you are scared to make errors, you will not improve.

When I first arrived in Melb, I make many errors. I told my friend "open the light" (turn on/switch on) ... and close the light. My friend laughed at me. btw my friend was learning Indonesian and she explained to me even though we said "buka" in Indonesian but in English, there are differences. So I always remember that. dont be afraid let's make errors and correct it. so what if people laugh at you, you laugh if people make errors too. people will forget.
    Istri tukang sapu
    Let go of unhelpful influences

just to inform you guys, people on another world wide forums dont give a damn regarding their english..

as long as they have courage to use it and as long as they can make other people understand, then its ok..

check the big forums such as Gamefaqs or whatever, you'll find its unnecessary to using a 'flawless' eeeenglish.. because theyre never care..

I am exactly agree with the post above.
    as long as they have courage to use it and as long as they can make other people understand, then its ok..
    Almost Retire from Dota's game - member of G-SPOT Clan ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Revanchist View Post
    just to inform you guys, people on another world wide forums dont give a damn regarding their english..

check the big forums such as Gamefaqs or whatever, you'll find its unnecessary to using a 'flawless' eeeenglish.. because theyre never care..
    Yes, it is true that as long as who read the post understand, they don't actually give a crap.

But, there's a difference between ""Yo, my homie! wut u doin?"" and "All your base are belong to us.".

The latter is an Engrish phrase whilst the other one is just a crap English.
    DISCLAIMER
    By reading my post, you agree to this disclaimer regardless of anything. You also agree that my views and opinions are always right and you are always wrong. This disclaimer supersedes anything, even if your whatever says it supersedes mine, mine still supersedes yours. Any complain should be sent to trogdor[at]rekrfeht[dot]com which does not exist. Even if it does, I still will not read your mail. Instead, it will be automatically redirected to /dev/null.

And... following the recent trend:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/342496256.png

good discussion, I'm still pacticing English.
    I can undertand what is written here, but I can write what I want to say..
    it's so hard...
    but I'll try hehehe..
    Correct me if there is some mistakes on my sentences
    tq

Quote Originally Posted by Revanchist View Post

That's if.... you want to spend the rest of your life.. posting in those forums that don't give a damn about their English.

I for one do not want to..
    I want to become someone important. That's why English is important to me. Don't tell me your dream is to become teh 1337 Supa-Moderatorz of GamefAqs owning n00bs with skilz0rz. If it is.. ok, then probably it's ok for you to not care about ur English skills.

it does matter for formal purposes..
    for informal, it's up2u. we got accent

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuko View Post
    Every language learners will have their strengths and weaknesses. Some Chinese speakers have trouble of saying "th" sound. Indian people have trouble with intonation. I think no matter what, we should encourage people to speak and refine the language. This should not mean they should be ashamed of themselves if they make errors. We all make errors, maybe the good idea would be let them know and if they dont want to correct it well you've done your bit. Make errors and correct it then you are improving. If you are scared to make errors, you will not improve.

When I first arrived in Melb, I make many errors. I told my friend "open the light" (turn on/switch on) ... and close the light. My friend laughed at me. btw my friend was learning Indonesian and she explained to me even though we said "buka" in Indonesian but in English, there are differences. So I always remember that. dont be afraid let's make errors and correct it. so what if people laugh at you, you laugh if people make errors too. people will forget.
    actually, it is difficult to say th (voiced) than voiceles.. got what i mean??

English... hmm, i'm good with understanding what people says but have a hard time replying lol. i played an online browser game and joined an alliance. they have a forum so i post and reply many things there. they have a chatbox too, so we can talk each other live. so far so good when i post to the forum, but when i join the chat many of them ask "where are you come from?" then i said "Indonesia, why?" and guess what they said

"Your Englrisht is vewry goods. lol joke but it's true"

Sorry, but your thread fails.
    To criticize anybody you have to make sure that you can do what you criticize about perfectly. And I found out that you don't.

I found out a lot of grammar errors in your posts in this thread.
    I don't need to point out to the mistakes, I'm pretty sure you know those.

It is okay to make mistakes, but not when you act like you're a pro.
    I know that when I'm writing this, so criticism and feedback are welcomed.

I'm sorry if my writing offended anyone, that is all I want to say. Best of luck to you who take this seriously.p
    You offended yourself.

No offense, don't take it personally, it's a constructive criticism anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Talk about Indonesian people and their English

In my opinion, and also in most of English native speaker opinion, Indonesians are high-leveled English speaker. Indonesians are fast learners, have good pronunciation, know many vocabularies and hard-workers. However, Indonesians are not too good in Grammar.

Compared to another non-English-speaking country like Japan:
    VOCABULARIES - INDONESIA > JAPAN
    PRONUNCIATION - INDONESIA >>>>>> JAPAN ( Japanese have the worst English pronunciation, according to A LOT of English native speakers )
    GRAMMAR - INDONESIA < JAPAN

In short, Indonesians ( in general ) have good English.

However, Indonesians always think that slang words are cool, and try to use those words in daily life. According to my experience, English native speakers rarely use those words, even youngsters. Complete and polite sentences are commonly used.
    Slang words only exist in : INTERNET, MOVIES, and in the streets.

-------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by babakulima
    good discussion, I'm still pacticing English.
    I can undertand what is written here, but I can write what I want to say..
    it's so hard...
    but I'll try hehehe..
    Correct me if there is some mistakes on my sentences
    tq
    FYI, you certainly will know your mistakes ( in spelling ) while you're typing. Underlined words ( usually in red or green ) are the mistakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by CORRECTION
    good discussion, I'm still practicing English.
    I can understand what is written here, but I can not write what I want to say..
    it's very hard...
    but I'll try hehehe..
    Correct me if there is some mistakes in my sentences
    tq
    Your grammar is not bad at all. You're very good.
    Actually, grammar mistakes are shits, no one will care as long your sentence is understandable.

PS : I replaced so with very, anybody know why?

I understand some of you write English on an effort to be better even though your grammar (or spelling, or placing) is wrong. That's perfectly okay, keep it up for it will improve your English, but please do check your grammar, triple-check if needed. The fastest, most efficient way to be able to learn English is to use it in your daily life. If you never use a language you learned in your daily life, you will eventually forget it. This is what happened to me, as I used to learn Javanese and now.. I cannot understand any of it, because I'm not using it anymore.
    Grammatical error? Yes, that's true. but most people don't realize that they made a grammatical mistake. So do i. So, triple-check is meaningless, sometime.

======================

Compared to another non-English-speaking country like Japan:
    VOCABULARIES - INDONESIA > JAPAN
    PRONUNCIATION - INDONESIA >>>>>> JAPAN ( Japanese have the worst English pronunciation, according to A LOT of English native speakers )
    GRAMMAR - INDONESIA < JAPAN
    agreed, for example:

In indonesia, video is pronounced "video"
    In japan, video is pronounced "bideo"
    OMG
    because there is no "fi" in japanese language.

I know that there are a lot of bad-english indonesian, but they're learning from what mistake did they make (usually).

even though, my english isn't good. SO, Correct my grammar plz

CMIWW

Quote Originally Posted by iD|Virtuoso View Post
    Hi there,

I'm here to write a post (more of a critique actually) regarding Indonesians capability of speaking and writing in English.

See, the majority of Indonesians cannot speak/write English well, and what do they do? They still do it, just to show off. One time I encountered a signature of an Indonesian member that says:

What kind of English is that? No offense, but if someone abroad sees that kind of English implied in our signatures, or posts, or writings, won't you be embarrassed, that our very people writes English as bad as that?

No offense though, because I am writing this to encourage all you Indonesians to simply triple-check your grammar when writing/speaking/listening/reading (in) English. And if unsure, please do study some English. The language is the world's #1 International language, how can Indonesia be a developed nation if its people can't even speak English correctly?

I understand some of you write English on an effort to be better even though your grammar (or spelling, or placing) is wrong. That's perfectly okay, keep it up for it will improve your English, but please do check your grammar, triple-check if needed. The fastest, most efficient way to be able to learn English is to use it in your daily life. If you never use a language you learned in your daily life, you will eventually forget it. This is what happened to me, as I used to learn Javanese and now.. I cannot understand any of it, because I'm not using it anymore.

I'm sorry if my writing offended anyone, that is all I want to say. Best of luck to you who take this seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by iD|Virtuoso View Post
    Are you referring to me? If so, then I'm really sorry if I offend anyone. I understand I was n00b myself back then.

Discuss about that fact. Do you think it's true? What about yourself? Do you think if people start to take this fact into consideration, Indonesia can become a more developed nation?

1st of all, it just personal preference... this signature owner, or so called "noob" u said... why don't u just pronounce him as beginner? it just my saying..since I never like the term "noob" in the first place..it's kinda unrespecting... wouldn't it be nice if we use the term beginner, amateur, pro, etc...

get 2 the motion.. don't u ever got the idea of...
    what if the signature owner tried to apply his english in his daily life just as someone said?
    n to put it in signature was his choice...???
    n he earned this thread started for that???
    n u said u understood, yet u started this thread???

or it might be better for him 2 show off...perhaps there's a good unselfish guy who doesn't mind 2 spare a bit of his time teaching the "noob"?
    take my advice, PM the signature owner politely the correction, instead of starting such thread...I doubt the chance of people u called "noob" would wandering in this subforum...
    constructing critical is good, but I thing we need 2 see things in more perspective way before...
    sorry 4 being harsh, it just the way it is...
    Last edited by yankxz; 28-08-08 at 04:20. Reason: I'm suck
    life's short, play more

Don't hate me because I have an opinion. =_="

Don't mind it. This is how this forum works. Ignore them, or put them on ignore list is far much better.

I won't say anything too much, my speech is too sharp.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast